Right back in January, Nich of At Home with Nich nominated me for a Blogger Recognition Award. I’ll confess that I didn’t know what this award was. When I discovered what it was – a way for members of the blogging community to support other bloggers – I felt all warm and fuzzy so thank you very much, Nich. Unfortunately, I am very British and not very good at self-promotion so I have been umming and aahing about what to write since January!
RULES FOR THIS AWARD:
- Thank the blogger who nominated you and provide a link to their blog.
- Write a post to show your award.
- Give a brief story of how your blog started.
- Give two pieces of advice to new bloggers.
- Select (up to 15) other bloggers for this award.
- Comment on each blog to let them know you nominated them and provide a link to the post you created.
How The Allergy Brothers blog started
The origins of this blog are very mundane. I was simply fed up with having little bits of paper covered in scrawled notes about recipes all over my kitchen. I thought it would be a good idea to put the recipes online so I could tidy up my kitchen. I soon discovered two things: baking and electronic devices don’t mix that well unless you like your laptop covered in cake batter, and that I really enjoyed having a creative outlet in the form of the blog. I have now corralled paper copies of my recipes into a folder for day-to-day use, and the blog has morphed into a more general resource for people with multiple allergies.
Advice to New Bloggers
- Enjoy it! For most bloggers, blogging is never going to be more than a hobby, and not a road to riches, so make sure you enjoy doing it. I took about a year off the blog a while ago. It was a difficult decision because the blog had started growing a bit at that point, but, because there was so much else going on in our lives at that time, I wasn’t enjoying blogging. It had become another chore I needed to do when really I should have got more sleep. Now, our lives are calmer, I am able to genuinely look forward to sitting down and working on the blog.
- Don’t be afraid to celebrate small successes. It’s easy to look at celebrity bloggers and influencers and feel like a very tiny plankton in a huge internet ocean. Remember the classic Theodore Roosevelt quote “comparison is the thief of joy.” He’s right. The Allergy Brothers are excellent at this. To them, the idea that over 500 people have read our blog since January is mindblowing. They don’t care that Kim Kardashian West has over 109 million Instagram followers. They find it exciting that people from all over the world read their blog. So celebrate each new follower, and every new best ever statistic because that is a success.
And thanks again to Nich (At Home With Nich) for the nomination.