Unfortunately, the Allergy Brothers can’t eat the pre-made bases we reviewed earlier in the week so we had to make their pizzas from scratch. Well, we got a little bit of a helping hand from Orgran’s Gluten Free Pizza & Pastry Multimix.
Orgran’s Pizza & Pastry Multimix Ingredients – Potato starch, Maize starch, Maize flour, Raising agents: Glucono Delta Lactone, Sodium Bicarbonate, Yellow Pea Flour, Salt, Vegetable gums (Stabilisers): Xanthan Gum, Carboxymethylcellulose, Methylcellulose.
This multimix has had a rebrand in the last few months with new packaging and new cooking instructions. I use the old method that requires yeast, but if you are pushed for time or allergic to yeast, then you can just follow the instructions on the packet. It’s really very easy.
For my method, you will need half a packet of Orgran Pizza & Pastry Multimix, sugar, yeast (I use Allinson Dried Active Yeast for Hand Baking), 250ml water, 40ml oil (I use olive oil), and your toppings (I used Pepperami, Vegan pesto and Vegan cheese).
- Preheat the oven to 200 C/400 F, and oil a baking sheet.
- Dissolve a tsp of sugar in 50 ml of hot water. Add 75ml of cold water. Add 1 tbsp of dried yeast. Give it all a stir. Leave it to do its thing for about 15 minutes. You should get a few centimetres of scummy foam on the surface of the water, when it is ready.
- Mix together half a packet of multimix, the water and yeast together, and the oil. Combine it with a spoon until a dough has formed. Then knead it by hand.
- Form the pizzas and put them on the baking tray or pizza pan. You can roll out the pizzas with a rolling pin, but I am making child-size portions so I just form them by making a ball of dough and squashing it flat with my hand. I divide the dough into two and make two mini pizzas for the Allergy Brothers. A full packet should give you enough for 3 full-size pizzas. Allergy Little likes to have pepperami mixed into the dough, and then vegan pesto and vegan cheese as the topping. He thinks the pepperami dries out too much if it is a topping!
- The pizzas take about 15 minutes to bake. The pizza should be golden brown, but fluffy inside like a deep pan base, and the toppings should be bubbling.
- Enjoy your pizza. Serving it with grapes is optional!