A really lovely, warming crumble for Autumn.
For the crumble topping:
60g gram flour
For the fruit filling:
400g rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 2.5cm pieces
2 medium cooking apples, peeled, cored and roughly chopped
100g caster sugar
30g piece of ginger, peeled
To make the crumble topping
- Preheat the oven to 190C/Gas Mark 5. Line a baking tray with baking parchment.
- Rub the gram flour into the margarine until it resembles bread crumbs. Stir in the sugar and polenta.
- Spread the mixture out on the baking tray, and put it in the oven. After 10 minutes, give it a stir and then return to the oven. Keep an eye on it and remove from the oven when the mixture is golden, but not brown.For the fruit filling
- Mix together the rhubarb, apples and sugar. Finely grate the ginger into the fruit and mix well. Transfer to a dish for the oven. Add enough water to cover the base of the dish so it doesn’t catch.
- The oven should still be at 190C/Gas Mark 5 so put the fruit in the oven for about 15 minutes. Very carefully, remove from the oven and spoon the crumble topping over the fruit. Return to the oven for another 10-15 minutes or until the fruit is bubbling and the topping is nicely browned.