Cooking oil or spray
125g liquid glucose*
360g caster sugar
15g bicarbonate of soda
250g dark chocolate
- Line a baking tray with baking parchment. Lightly oil the baking parchment.
- Place the glucose, sugar, honey and 75ml water in a saucepan over a medium heat. Keep stirring until the sugar has dissolved then allow the mixture to boil until it is a dark caramel colour.
- Take the saucepan off the heat and leave it to stand for 2 mins. Quickly whisk in the bicarbonate of soda.
- Pour the mixture into the tray. Cool down the mixture; I used some convenient snow!
- When it has set, break the caramel into pieces.
- Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water. Cover one side of the caramels with the chocolate .
- Sprinkle the chocolate with salt, and then allow that to set.
- Store the salted chocolate bubbly caramels in the freezer, and eat whenever you need a burst of energy to get you through the holiday season!
*Why is there liquid glucose in this recipe? Liquid glucose controls the formation of sugar crystals so you get nice, smooth caramels.