Updated recipe for improved clarity!
The dinosaurs went stomping all over our biscuits (and we learnt about how fossil tracks are formed). Idea stolen from Okido magazine.
- 180g margarine
- 120g sugar
- 150g corn flour
- 150g gram flour
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
Also required – toy dinosaurs, toy insects, or similar
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5.
- Cream the margarine and sugar together.
- Stir in flours and vanilla essence, and work together to form a soft dough.
- Roll out on a floured surface and cut into shapes.
- Now make your fossils! Either have your dinosaurs stomp all over the biscuits leaving footprints, or press your insects into the top of the biscuits to leave their mark. Remember to remove the plastic toys before baking.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes. You could read about how dinosaur footprint fossils are formed here or you could watch these videos (Footprints reveal dinosaur chase or More detailed video for older children and adults about how fossil tracks are used in research) while you wait.
- Leave to cool before removing from baking sheet.